Monday, April 11, 2016

A finish and a failure

I finally finished quilting my quilt top, the NY beauty blocks were the last ones!

 

 





I was quilting fairly late (for me) Saturday night, around 7:30, when I realized I had quilted one of the edges down somehow and caught a bunch of it in my quilting.  Too tired, I guess...so 15 minutes of stitching meant 3 hours of unpicking Sunday morning.  But it's fixed now, that's all that matters.





And the other day I saw something on Carol Eaton's  blog that looked interesting so I thought I'd try it. Wrap some whiffle balls in some fabric, then use fabric paints to color it.


I used some Pfd cotton topped by some silk gauze, then Dynaflow and Setacolor paints. They looked pretty awesome at this point.

It took over two days for it all to dry, finally unwrapped it all Sunday, and it was a dismal failure.

This is the silk gauze: 


Yuck.

And the cotton piece looks even worse, all the paint collected around the whiffle balls.




Pretty awful!


So I'll probably dye this piece with procion dyes...if it ever warms up enough here.

And a picture of my poor old sad man Leo, who gets SO scared when I try to take a picture of him

Love you Leo!

Linking up with  Nina Marie today!

5 comments:

  1. I love leo too. I miss my lab, and my standard poodle is almost 14 so she's been gone 15 years now. Re painted fabric, it's really not a failure... I think, and you didn't ask lol, you should fussy cut the parts that took the paint, and piece them together.And I've done a mighty number of what I thought of as painted failures that turned out to work perfectly in another setting. Don't know how the dye process will work over painted fabric. LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LeeAnna, I'll let you know how the fabric turns out when I have a chance to overdye it. The weather is supposed to warm up this week so I might be able to dye soon! Leo was a rescue dog who had a sad life until he got adopted by me 3 years ago, he is still unsure of a lot but is a great dog.

      Delete
  2. Leo seems so happy in your house! I am impressed with the points in the star burst in your quilt. I'm a bit shakey on points still. Also like the idea of using the wiffle balls for dyeing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Beauty blocks" indeed. I love your choice of colors

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a remarkable and beautiful quilt. Those NY beauties are amazing! As always, I love your color and design choices in all aspects of this quilt.

    ReplyDelete