I tried to make up for it this past weekend, first getting up early Saturday (as always) and soaking some fabric in soda ash solution to get ready for ice dyeing. I first saw this method on this blog and thought I'd give it a try. Instead of using the dye powder, she made a strong dye/water solution. (I have lots of jars of dye solutions already made up, since I don't always use 100% of what I mix, so it was a good reason to use it up!) Thanks, Dolly!
Here are some of my results--which I think turned out beautifully! Colors used were Fuschia, Straw, Tangerine, and Sky Blue.
The one surprise to me is that the blue pretty much disappeared, turning into lots of purple, but not much green.
It was so cold over the weekend (for here) that the ice didn't even melt all the way after 24 hours.
I liked these so much that I started another bunch of ice dyes on Sunday morning using mostly blues & purples (Blue violet, Sapphire blue and Grape)
And then I did some screen printing on some fabric that I had dyed and painted previously, using some thickened dye solution. This hasn't been washed out yet, I think I have to let it set for about 24 hours before washing.
And I tried stamping with a hand carved stamp I had made a while ago -- but my Setacolor paint was more like a gel (think it's getting too old) so it didn't turn out exactly like I had planned...
No time for house cleaning! Oh, and the wedding I attended in Pittsburgh last weekend was for my niece, Karin, who lives in Florida. I gave them a quilt for a wedding picture, and she was nice enough to send me a picture of it in their house--but I can't get the picture to show up here correctly.
Lab Rescue of NC.