Friday, July 23, 2010

Martha's Vineyard

Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day on the Vineyard. Today, at around noon, it started raining and is still raining this evening. Just before the rains started, I got some quick pictures at Menemsha, one of the small towns here on the island--pics are just of the beach area, all I could get before it poured.
Here is looking one way:
And the other way:
Not too crowded, that's for sure! I found out, when I tried to drive home, that everyone was on the roads. Gridlock everywhere!! If the tourists can't make it a beach day, they make it a shopping day.
Because of the fishing heritage of this village, this statue is at the beach, too.
I only found one fabric store so far on this island, Bea's Fabric Hive. Poor Bea was about 80 years old, and the fabrics she had were mostly polyester. It was a pretty sad store, she had old Simplicity and McCalls patterns, too, most from the 70s and 80s. Talk about a time warp--I know a lot of those 70s styles are back, but I didn't like them too much the first time, either! She was telling me it was sad that no one sews anymore--guess she doesn't know anyone like me or the rest of us fabric & quilt-a-holics.

1 comment:

  1. Oh My! It seems I must relocate and establish a PROPER Fabric/Mixed Media/Yarn shop, at least for the summer months. wink wink :)Bea of Dogintheholestudio.com

    ReplyDelete