Thursday, June 28, 2012

FM Quilt Challenge for June

Getting in just under the wire for this one!  I started by drawing some shapes and doodling in lines and designs like Cindy Needham suggested in the June SewCalGal FM quilt challenge...

Then I got a piece of hand-dyed fabric that was about 45" long and around 18" wide and divided it up into sections and started filling them in after sandwiching it with some batting and backing.  I started on Sunday morning, and worked on it about 5 hours that day, and wasn't anywhere near done by the end of the day. 

It seemed like an endless task--I think I used about 9-10 bobbins altogether in this piece.  Thank goodness I have some large spools of thread!  The thread here was Isacord, in a periwinkle color.  It's a very nice 50 wt. thread, and my machine really likes it.  I bought it at my LQS because they only carry the basics in Aurifil (black, white, beige) but carry hundreds of Isacord colors.
Some close-up pictures of the various designs I used.  Of course, they weren't too much like my original drawing, I like to change my mind while I'm sewing.  I kind of sketch them in with a chalk pencil so I have an idea what I'm going to do in each section.  Sometimes I follow the lines, sometimes I don't.
I sewed for about an hour before work every day this week, then at least 1-2 hours each evening.  Lots of stitches... 

  


This is the only picture that shows the true color of this piece, maybe because I've been taking pictures at either 5:30 in the morning or after 6:30 at night.  

I still have to trim it up, bind it, and wash it to get all of my chalk lines out of it.  Then I'll take a picture of the whole thing during the daylight this weekend.  It'll probably end up as a table runner, since it's definitely big enough.  This was fun, but I should have done a smaller piece!  

3 comments:

  1. Love your doodles and love the quilt. Can't wait to see the finished product. Your machine quilting has really come a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the June challenge. I guess I am just a doodler! Yours looks great! It has been so much fun to see how everyone has done this challenge, and inspiring too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great design and quilting, very fun! It looks a lot like zentangle. best, nadia

    ReplyDelete